Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Carmageddon

Is this L.A. or New York? Honestly, I’m starting to wonder what the difference is!

Want to know what I mean? Here it is: Some guy working for the city of Los Angeles gave advice to motorists about how to avoid traffic congestion during work on the 405 freeway in July. He said this at a news conference (I got this from the CBS News website):

“The best alternative route is to totally avoid the 405 area, completely avoid it, don't come anywhere near it, don't even think about coming to it. Stay the heck out of here.”

(I think CBS dropped the ball on their punctuation and italicization/bold/underline stuff in this quote, but that’s just me. I think he had way more accent/inflection than we’re reading here! And CBS News is covering it up!)

[BTW: Here’s what it would have looked like had I been the copy editor for this CBS News story:

“The best alternative route is to totally avoid the 405 area. Completely avoid it! Don't come anywhere near it! Don't even think about coming to it!! Stay the heck out of here!!!”

I think that’s a lot more accurate for what the intended message was, don’t you?]

This reminds me of the NYC parking signs that say: “Don’t even THINK of parking here!” So does this mean that famously friendly Los Angeles is rapidly becoming just as rude as New York City? I hope so, because I’m tired of smiling at everyone. They’re all a bunch of jerks, and they know it! That’s why I’m just going to start saying: “What’re you lookin’ at!?” to everyone. That’s what we do in NYC, and it serves us very well there.