Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Exorcist Maiden Name Joke

I have seen the movie The Exorcist probably fifteen times, but I never got that joke until tonight. (It’s on again tonight for Halloween.) So Father Karras asks Possessed Regan what his mother’s maiden name is, and Possessed Regan projectile vomits pea soup on him. And then, finally, tonight, I got it. I saw that scene, and I said: “Andersen! Like Andersen’s Pea Soup! Now I get it: her maiden name is Andersen! It must be! And it’s an inside joke for fans of Andersen’s Pea Soup!” That must be what they meant. Because Andersen’s Pea Soup is the only brand I know of that’s smooth enough to spray like projectile vomit right out of the can. Right?

Now, obviously this is just a joke of mine, because the real reference is that her maiden name is Green. Because the pea soup vomit is green, so it’s just a different way of saying “green”, right? Get it? It’s just like if her maiden name was Brown, and the demon sprayed diarrhea in the bed: because poop is brown. Or if the demon sprayed milk on him, and her maiden name was White. Right? That must be what they really meant. Don’t you think?