Monday, November 30, 2015

Dodge “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2” Tie-In Ad

I don’t know; maybe it’s just me, but I think a movie tie-in ad should actually have something to do with the movie it’s tying into.

But most don’t, and here’s a good example: Dodge cars and The Hunger Games.

Um, does Katniss drive Dodge cars? If she doesn’t, then there’s really no connection, is there? (We can clearly see that her stand-in is not really her.)

The ad says that Dodge has the “revolutionary spirit” of the movie character. Wow, is that because they want Katniss to help topple the current administration due to CO2 level regulations? (Dodge makes a lot of muscle cars. They burn a lot of gas.)

I am joking here, but you can see how easy it becomes to misread a movie tie-in ad that doesn’t have a believable connection between the movie and the product.

Here’s the unrelated ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4HdSWBSX8w

BTW: I am not trying to give this ad too hard of a time. I love the cars. It just seems like every movie tie-in ad these days has almost nothing to do with the movie, and they're just slipping the product in somewhere where it doesn't belong. My guess is that someone higher up the chain makes the movie-product deal, and they tell the creatives about it, and they see like we do that there's not much connection, so they just have to do the best they can.

Maybe product placement would help with this issue? (Not that I've been longing for more...)