Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Glass Doctor: A Case for Jingles, Part 2

“Call the Glass Doctor, we’ll fix your pains, (oh yeah)!”

Thus chime the lyrics of the jingle for The Glass Doctor, some company that fixes windows and such. And why do I remember such a thing, in a world of generic advertising for such home improvement products and services and stuff? Well, it’s simple, really: they’ve got this jingle, and once you hear it, you’ll never forget it! Will it make me call them and hire them? Well, maybe not; but that’s simply because I don’t have much use for their services. But if I did, and I didn’t know who to call, that jingle might just make me think of someone specific. And after all, this is what advertising is all about!

So when you have pretty underwhelming, amateurish-looking ads, and even so, I can’t get your company name out of my head, it means you’re doing something right, despite your best efforts to shoot yourself in the foot! You know, just like Visiting Angels: their ads are lame, but their jingle is great and very memorable, so it works anyway. So what does this mean? It means simply this: If you don’t have much money, and you know your ads are probably going to look less-than-top-quality, you’ve got to give yourself a trump card that will let you rise above an ocean of white noise and better production values and fun concepts. And what might that be? (Have you been reading this?) It’s a great, memorable jingle!

Now how companies whose ads look like cheaply-made intro film-school student work can manage to have great jingles is beyond me (maybe they blew their whole budget on the jingle? If so, it was worth it!), but it doesn’t really matter, because after all, I cannot remember most fast food ads from my youth, or even from last year, but I do know that a Big Mac is “two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame-seed bun”; just like I know Burger King’s old motto was “hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don’t upset us, all we ask is that you let us have it your way: have it your way, at Burger King, have it your way, at Burger King!” (I swear to you I did not look any of this up, for it is forever seared into my memory through these jingles!) And the point is this: Jingles, when they’re catchy, really stay in people’s memories, and as they get older, these become serious pieces of nostalgia people love to remember, even if they hated them back-in-the-day.

And so, young advertising grasshopper, if you have no great product everyone needs desperately, and if you have no advertising budget, no brilliant concept, and no celebrity spokespeople, then seek ye the magical jingle, and “jingle all the way” to a successful business! It rarely fails when it’s good (unless your product or service or business sucks!). Jingles will make people remember you: the rest is up to you!

(BTW: I used to be a musician and songwriter, but I do not write jingles, so I have no horse in this race. But maybe I should have, because it’s very effective.)

Oh, but now that I have suitably brown-nosed The Glass Doctor’s wonderful jingle, I must now deconstruct it for its weaknesses, just to be fair, and just to have some fun. (But this is all just a good-natured ribbing, so no hard feelings, I hope.)

Okay, so the “glass doctor” will “fix” your “panes”? Well, that sounds like “Fix your pains”, right? And what fixes pains? Oh, that’s right: dangerous, addictive narcotics! So is the “glass doctor” some kind of “Dr. Feelgood”? And when he says he’ll “fix” your pains: what word does a junkie use to communicate their next high? Why, it’s “fix”, isn’t it? And so are they then saying that they will get your windows addicted to dangerous narcotics like Oxycontin? And then your windows will be so strung-out on drugs, they won’t even be alert enough to keep insects out or communicate with your home alarm company anymore! And then, when you go out of town, your windows will be jonesing so badly for drugs that when the “glass doctor” comes by with some pain pills for them, they will betray you and just get high and let “the doctor” rob you blind! Yeah, he’s the “glass doctor” alright: because I see right through his evil plans, man!

Okay, that’s just a joke! I can’t help but read all this stuff into their slogan, because I’m a smartass. But the jingle is great! And if you have a small budget, but a good business, try to think of how you might word a convincing jingle to attract customers, and then hire someone to make it really good: it just might be the best marketing decision you ever make!

Here’s The Glass Doctor’s jingle (in an ad where it’s a long song with a puppet; and while I do not like this whole ad, the jingle at the beginning and the end are terrific!):