Friday, June 29, 2018

Square Ad Song (Proposed)

Here’s a spec ad song I wrote for the credit card reading device Square:

(To the tune of the Beach Boys’ song: “I Get Around”)

Square, Square, get a Square, I’ll get a Square,
Yeah, get a Square, Square, Square, I’ll get a Square,

I’ll get a Square, (Get a Square, Square, Square, I’ll get a Square,)
Charge it right there, (Get a Square, Square, Square, I’ll get a Square,)
It’s a real cool ease, (Get a Square, Square, Square, I’ll get a Square,)
It makes business a breeze. (Get a Square, Square, Square, I’ll get a Square.)

I’m getting bugged using readers that just take the strip,
(Or: I’m getting bugged taking cash for purchases and tips,)
I gotta find a device that can read a chip.

My buddies I see are using Squares of their own,
Yeah, the crowd buys from them in the street and trade shows.

I’ll get a Square, (Get a Square, Square, Square, I’ll get a Square,)
Charge it right there, (Get a Square, Square, Square, I’ll get a Square,)
It’s a real cool ease, (Get a Square, Square, Square, I’ll get a Square,)
It makes your life a breeze. (Get a Square, Square, Square, I’ll get a Square.)

I’ll get a Square, Square,
(Get a Square, Square, Square, Square.
Wah, wah, ooh,
Wah, wah, ooh,
Wah, wah, ooh, ooh.)

Square always takes all cards from the people we meet,
And it’s never missed yet and my sales are sweet.

My business size grows steady ‘cause the Square works so right,
It gets the best things sold almost every night.

So get a Square, (Get a Square, Square, Square, I got a Square,)
Charge it right there, (Get a Square, Square, Square, I got a Square,)
It’s a real cool thing, (Get a Square, Square, Square, I got a Square,)
More business it will bring. (Get a Square, Square, Square, I got a Square.)

I got a Square, Square,
(Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh,
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh.)

Square, Square, get a Square, I got a Square,
Yeah, get a Square, Square, Square, I got a Square,

Get a Square, Square, Square, just get a Square, (Wah, wah, ooh,)
Get a Square, Square, Square, just get a Square, (Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, eee,)
Get a Square, Square, Square, just get a Square, (Ooh, ooh, eee, eee, ooh.)

(Etc.)

(In the TV spot using this song, we would see a guy in a booth selling things at a trade show, turning business away because he can’t read a chip card in a flashback, and then selling like mad once he gets the Square credit card reader, with his business growing, etc.)

(And I know ‘Square’ doesn’t rhyme with ‘round’, but because it’s the opposite of ‘round’, I think people will get it, find it amusing, and remember it. And because the original song, which everyone knows, says: "I get around", it should send the message, even with the altered lyrics, that you can take and use the Square anywhere you go and everywhere you want to sell things.)

Here’s the song: “I Get Around” by the Beach Boys: