Thursday, March 5, 2015

Pepsi “Say Hello to My Little Friend” Billboard Ad

Seemingly for months there has been a billboard ad at the corner of Hollywood and Highland in Hollywood showing a small can of Pepsi being served on a silver platter underneath the headline: “Say hello to my little friend.”

So, are they trying to convey the idea that drinking soda is dangerous to our health? I only ask because the line: “Say hello to my little friend” is well known to come from the movie Scarface, and it is in reference to an enormous gun Al Pacino uses to maim and kill people. And so destruction and death is what this quote makes me think of, which then gets me thinking of the possible relationship a soda like Pepsi might have to death, and then I think about obesity and diabetes, etc. So while it’s catchy, I’m not sure the Scarface quote is the best idea to describe a food or drink.

But maybe other people do not have the same types of flights of fancy I have when seeing this Scarface quote used in reference to Pepsi. And like I said, it definitely catches people’s attention, mostly due to the movie connection we’re (mostly) all so familiar with.

This is the killer Pepsi billboard ad: