Tuesday, September 29, 2015

“The Martian” Poster Slogan

I keep seeing a picture of Matt Damon’s face in a space suit to advertise the movie The Martian, and the caption says: “Bring Him Home.”

But wait a minute, apart from the obvious Interstellar reference, where he’d definitely deserve to be left alone to die on whatever barren planet for what he did in that movie, there’s another really big issue this raises: we can strand annoying actors on faraway planets now?* Wow, why would we ever want to bring them back? And who’s next?

I think the ad campaign for this movie should not be suggesting we bring Matt Damon back, but rather, that if enough people go see the movie, maybe we can afford to send Ben Affleck to Saturn, or Gwyneth Paltrow to Uranus, you know, just to get rid of them. Not that I’m judging or anything. But seriously, with the promise of that eventuality, wouldn’t you go see this movie again and again and again? I mean, we all know there’s no truth in advertising anyway, but at least we can hope, right? Even if it never happens, at least we did our part to try to make it so, and we can tell our grandchildren that we did our best to get rid of them before they could make more movies.

(BTW: I don’t hate Matt Damon, et. al.; and I’m not trying to be a mean tweets kind of guy. I just wanted to make a joke about reversing the advertising campaign I’ve seen for The Martian so far. It’s just a joke.)

* Wow, we really need to fund NASA again! Maybe this is their ploy to get new funding?

Here's the poster I am referring to: