Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I'm a Toys R Us Kid (Joke Ad)

When I was a child, there was an advertising campaign for Toys R Us which had a song singing: "I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid, there's lots of things at Toys R Us for me to play with!" And then we'd see toys and stuff. But did this campaign really show us what that song was singing about? I don't think so, so here's an ad that would:

As the song is playing, we see a grown man playing with action figures while his family is being evicted from their home. Then his wife and kids leave him as he continues playing on the sidewalk, and then when his creditors show up to take his very last bit of stuff, his toys, an appraiser looks at them and says to the collections people: "Forget it, he took them out of the box, so they're worthless now." And then he just keeps playing with his toys outdoors.

And this would really show how an adult could truly not ever grow up by playing with toys from Toys R Us. And that's the message they were really trying to send, right?