Monday, February 22, 2016

Downton Abbey-Peanuts Crossover?

In watching last night’s Downton Abbey, Lady Edith’s continued misfortunes made me think of Charlie Brown from the Peanuts. And, naturally, Lady Mary reminded me of the raven-haired bully always trying to ruin things for Charlie Brown: Lucy van Pelt.

So I think maybe we should have a crossover of Downton Abbey and the Peanuts: Lady Edith can marry Charlie Brown (and they can experience misery and constant misfortune together), and Lady Mary can abandon her husband and run off to hang out with Lucy, where they conspire to ruin everyone’s lives together someday through their own arrogant bullying and selfishness. Then at least Schroder would be happy: he only ever wanted to play Beethoven in peace! (Henry Talbot wouldn’t approve, but he was too pushy anyway.)

(I think Julian Fellowes must have read a lot of Peanuts comics growing up. I did.)