Saturday, February 13, 2016

The 69 Club

We’ve all heard of the 27 Club, featuring famous people who died at 27, like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, etc.

But what about the stars who died at age 69? You know, like David Bowie, Louis Armstrong, Evel Knievel, Alan Rickman, Dennis Farina, Ed “Big Daddy” Roth, Harold Ramis, Jerry Orbach, etc., and, okay, I’ll admit it: Saddam Hussein. (Not my fault: they could have waited to execute him until he was 70. Don’t blame me. They only didn’t wait so we couldn’t have a 69 Club! We can always ignore him, though. My guess is lots of jerks also died at 27 but we never heard about it.)

Actually, I think the AARP should push this idea of the 69 Club to say you don’t have to peak in your 20s: you can be a star at any age, and wait until the new standard: the 100 Club! (Would that not make a great AARP ad?)