Thursday, January 28, 2016

Fiat 500 “Deep Red” Joke Ad

I love the fun Dario Argento movie Deep Red, and especially the silly scenes with David Hemmings and Daria Nicolodi in her old Fiat 500. We see David Hemmings try to get in on the passenger side, and Daria says she must get in that way first because her door doesn’t work on the driver’s side. Then, once he sits down on the passenger’s side seat, it collapses. Then he tries to put the sun visor up, but it keeps flopping back down. And then, finally, he locks the door, to which Daria says, after expressing shock and concern: “The lock jams and we’ve got to get a mechanic to open it.” And then, upon reaching their destination, he has to climb out of the sunroof to get out.

So I was thinking, maybe Fiat could show some of this stuff and say: “The new Fiat 500: It’s better than it used to be.”

Or maybe they wouldn’t like to do that?

(I think Dario Argento must have driven an old rust bucket Fiat 500 when he was a teenager or known someone who did. Why else would he have picked on that particular car? These scenes in Deep Red are very funny, but I’ll bet they’re not very funny to Fiat.)

Oh, and by the way, I love the new Fiat 500, and I also love the old ones. You can find a crappy version of any car if it’s old enough and not very well maintained. I have seen lots worse than the Fiat 500 in Deep Red: at least it still runs reliably! Lots of other cars cannot say that, and they know who they are. I think most of us know who they are too.

BTW: I had forgotten, but the current Buick ad campaign is exactly this concept: the new cars are way better than the old cars, despite the fact that Buick had some amazing cars in the past. Here's an example of that current Buick ad campaign if you are doubting me:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/AAod/2015-buick-encore-is-that-a-buick

Also: After I criticized the Buick campaign, saying they should show their great old cars and say the new ones are bringing back that greatness, Dodge put out a campaign showing the Dodge brothers and a procession of their old great cars, saying their new ones are the new great ones (which I think some of them actually are). I wondered if my post had influenced that ad campaign at all, but I don't know. Either way, that Dodge ad campaign is fantastic, in my opinion. I would like to be able say I helped somehow.

Here's my previous post about the recent Buick ad campaign:

http://unconditionedresponse.blogspot.com/2014/05/buick-hmm-ad.html