Tuesday, June 17, 2014

La Quinta "Selling Machine" Ad

A man staying at a hotel becomes a literal selling machine from staying at the hotel in this silly spot for La Quinta (the hotel chain). The "selling machine" he becomes looks a lot like the titular cyborg hero in RoboCop, but without the visor. And I would hasten to point out that they just come right out and admit that this is what will happen to you if/when you stay at their hotels.

Oh my God: La Quinta is making us into cyborg robots with only our heads remaining of our bodies so they can harvest and sell all of our human organs to old and/or sick billionaires!*
(I'm on to these guys!)

* (I am only joking, of course: La Quinta does not steal, nor do they smuggle, human organs. I heard only their competition does that. You know that "urban legend" about waking up in a hotel in a bathtub full of ice with your kidneys missing? I heard that's what really happens when you stay at their competition. They should make an ad alleging this. Oh, oops; but then their competition could simply point to this ad as proof that it's actually them, and that their own ad illustrates this.)

Here's the conspiratorial cyborg commercial:


(Actually, the truth is, in this commercial, La Quinta simply says that this man "powers up" at their hotel, and that him losing his human body is what happens when he "powers up". And so, using lawyerly language, they have plausible deniability: a must for any corporate conspiracy!)

BTW: I am only joking about this commercial, and not about La Quinta, a hotel chain I've never even stayed at, but seems nice. But this ad shows a man's body replaced by a robot, and that made me wonder what benefit taking a human body and replacing it with a robot could be to a company, which led me inevitably to the human organ smuggling idea.