Thursday, April 16, 2015

Jaguar British Intel Ad

I think this ad is supposed to make us think of a nerdy Bond Q-branch developer, and that’s fun and all, but while he wears glasses during his ad pitch, when he’s actually driving the car at the end, he’s not wearing them.

Oh my God, he’ll kill us all!

Look, we already know you wear glasses, and there’s nothing wrong with that. So the least you could do is wear them when you might kill someone else if you can’t see anything.

I don’t know about you, but I’d feel better if he’d either worn the glasses throughout, or he’d put them on later to drive the car. Isn’t it a safety issue? Unless; hey, maybe Jaguar is trying to say that we should be embarrassed to wear glasses in public? Well, I never! Shame on those guys.

(Just kidding! Obviously they wanted to project that he’s a nerdy type when he’s in the lab, and a sexy secret agent when he leaves. But that basically says that glasses are unsexy, doesn’t it? I guess, based upon this ad, the public face of Jaguar, that Jaguar thinks glasses are fine in private, but they should not be seen in public. And I couldn’t disagree more, especially since I’m just about getting ready to need my first pair of reading glasses.)

Here’s the spurious sporty spy spot:


Hey, you don’t suppose he wears glasses with no prescription at work just so people will think he’s smart when he’s not, do you? (Cheater…)

(You know, after the Cambridge Five thing, maybe we should see this guy driving the Jaguar to deliver more secrets to the Russians. That would make sense, if he took off his glasses while driving away in the hopes that nobody would recognize him.)

I am, of course, joking here. Sure, you can read it like this, but it is hardly their intent. But in this day and age, it makes sense to try to find things like this people can complain about before you run your ad, just to cut down on potential public apologies and bad press.