Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Discon

When I was a kid, comic books were a big thing in my life, and so were movies. But music was the biggest thing. And disco and funk were huge when I was growing up. That music was way more important to me as a kid than anything else. And this is coming from a metal head/hardcore punk guy. (When I tell people my favorite kinds of music are punk, metal and disco, most people think I am joking. I’m not joking: disco is great! That’s why it’s coming back now.)

So back to this comic book idea: Comicon is huge, and everyone loves it. And comics are only one part of these people’s lives growing up that make such an indelible impression on them; music did too. And many, many people of all ages love that 1970s disco and early 1980s funk I grew up with, so why not have a Discon (Disco Convention) that travels around the world where people can come and meet all the people who made the music they loved growing up? I would go! And I would love to meet all these singers and musicians who made all the songs I still sing in my head all the time. To me, these people are real life superheroes. Give us a chance to fawn over them! And then have a concert every night.

I am not a businessman, so I don’t know if this would be economically viable, but I do know that as many people love this music as love comics, so maybe it’s worth a try. But I am being selfish here: put all my dance music heroes in one place where I could meet them in person? Sign me up! I hope they will consider doing it soon, if they want to, as people do not live forever, and windows of opportunity close faster than you might think.

Discon would be like a meet-and-greet, not just a concert. It would be a chance for people like me to shower love and appreciation upon the people who made growing up so much fun. I think they deserve to feel the love, and I know I would love to let them know how much I appreciated them then, and still do now. Plus, everyone would dress up as their disco ideal, so we would have lots of great outfits, roller-skates, Studio 54 attitude, etc. Wouldn’t it be fun?

Why should only fictional characters get all the love?

Anyway, it’s just an idea…

And if this worked, we could have Punk Rockon, and Metallicon.