Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Post-Election California Blues

In 1994, the World Cup was in America, and during the final, between Italy and Brazil, which went down to penalty kicks, the best player in the world at the time, Roberto Baggio of Italy, missed his penalty kick and Brazil won the World Cup.

My girlfriend at the time was studying in Italy in 1994 when the World Cup Final was played, and I sent her a postcard that read: “I wish I could have been with you to watch Roberto Baggio choke and lose the World Cup for Italy.” She said she laughed so hard when she read it, because everyone was walking around in Italy like they had a death in the family after that World Cup loss. And that’s what I think people here in California are going to seem like after Hillary Clinton’s loss to Trump in tonight’s election.

I doubt I will find it as amusing this time around, but I thought the story was apt.