Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Hey, what a coincidence that I just happened to post something about a Guinness ad, and it just happens to be St. Patrick’s Day! I didn’t realize, but what luck. I just saw Amy Poehler suggest to Tiger Woods last night that he could wear his (old) Masters green blazers on St. Patrick’s Day when he suggested that they aren’t good for wearing out anywhere. Maybe it’s because he felt the blazers look crappy and aren’t good for anything that he’s not playing well enough to win one anymore. He just doesn’t want any more of them probably. I don’t want one either, but probably more because I think golf is really boring. But if I was good enough to win one, I’ll bet I’d think it was beautiful, stylish, and perfect for every occasion. Well, until I wasn’t good enough to win one anymore; then I’d think that they were lame and ugly. But enough about golf. Isn’t that Scottish anyway? I just mentioned it because of the green blazer from the Masters. You’d think that since golf was invented in Scotland that there would be a tartan blazer, but then I guess they’d argue endlessly about which tartan to use; I guess it’s better just to make it green.

I used to live in Manhattan, NYC, and I had a view from my 15th storey window of a large, major intersection on the lower west side of the city. On St. Patrick’s Day, I used to come home from work and just sit in my window and watch that corner. There were two Irish pubs on that corner, and they were great fun most of the time, but on St. Patrick’s Day, everyone just seemed to overindulge just a bit too much, and I learned to stay out. But the view from my apartment was great! Some drunk guy would stumble out of the pub and run into some guy just walking down the sidewalk, and the drunk guy would inevitably start a fight with the guy on the sidewalk, then the police would come, arrest them both, and drive away. Then, as soon as the police car was out of view down the street, some other drunk guys would come staggering out of one of the pubs and start a fight with each other or with someone else just walking down the street, and the police would come and arrest them and drive away, and then some other drunk guys would flop out onto the sidewalk and start going at it with the fisticuffs, and the cops would come, etc. This would go on like clockwork for hours, just one after the other, after the other, all evening. It was the only day of the year it was like that. Most of the time, there was never anything to speak of going on in that neighborhood. But on St. Patrick’s Day: look out!