Monday, November 17, 2014

Nissan Rogue Safety Shield Ad

Beautiful ad, but then the announcer says that with the safety shield technology, the only thing left to fear is your imagination. Um, really? This car can prevent drunk drivers from driving through red lights and hitting you? And it can keep big trucks from backing up into your car? I doubt it. But it’s a very cute ad. It’s a shame they fumble the message with the extremely exaggerated claim at the end. But I guess we all expect that anyway, and in any case, the imaginative imagery is so beautifully realized, so it’s easy to forgive the usual hyperbole this time.

I can’t help wondering, however, in the slowed-down perception of time that occurs just before a car accident, how many drivers will think to themselves that they were told they only had to fear imaginary threats due to the safety shield, and what CGI animated imagined imagery they’ll see in their mind’s eye, in that split second one realizes an accident is imminent just before it occurs and the airbag deployment hits them so hard in the face that it is all immediately erased in lieu of wondering how badly they’re injured and how bad the damage to their car is, and oh yes, wondering if anyone in the other car is hurt, and how much their auto insurance premiums will be increasing.

Here’s the imaginative child’s car commercial:


One of the reasons I think I like this ad so much is that I remember the first night I went to sleep with the lights off as a small child. I was scared of the dark, so I always slept with the lights on until I was maybe five years old, and that first night with the lights off there was a shaft of light coming through my bedroom door from the light in the hallway, which was always on when my sister and I were little kids, and around the edges of that shaft of light, I literally saw the animated silhouettes of demons and monsters coming from the dark and rising up against the light, and it scared the hell out of me. So I pulled the sheets up over my head and ran my flannel pajamas across my sheets, which always produced little static electricity lightning, and then I must have fallen asleep. When I awoke the next day, the monsters had not gotten me, and I wasn’t afraid of the dark anymore. In fact, I grew to like it very much, and have loved those old classic horror movies and ghost stories ever since. And this commercial brings that childhood fear imagination thing back to me, and that’s not easily accomplished as deftly as it’s done here, so kudos to these guys.