Sunday, November 22, 2015

Ad, Interrupted

I see this more and more: an ad starts to play during an ad break, and it stops and is immediately preempted by another ad. Um, why does this happen? It seems to happen more and more every day. I thought computers controlled everything nowadays, but I guess maybe they can make mistakes sometimes? I didn’t know that. I hope the computer-based robots that kill us all and take over the planet will find a way to fix that someday.

Now, I’m sure most of us don’t care if an ad doesn’t play right or gets overrun by something else. But people go to great lengths to make these ads, and companies pay megabucks for them to be aired, so shouldn’t they be aired correctly so we can mute them or fast forward through them like we’re supposed to? How can we ignore a TV advertisement correctly if it’s not presented properly? We might ignore it wrong otherwise.

I guess they’ve got people who just watch TV all the time to make sure we’re inundated with all the advertising they pay to subject us to. Otherwise, how can they know if their money is well spent?