Monday, November 23, 2015

Skittles Pox Ad

Wow, this is absolutely the most disgusting candy ad I have ever seen. Even if I liked Skittles, which I don’t, I would never eat them again after seeing this ad.

Seriously, this is even more revolting than the “Expose Yourself to Payday” ad, where they seemed to be marketing to peepers, flashers and child molesters. Ew!

Maybe I’m overreacting? Watch it for yourself and tell me it doesn’t make you throw up in your own mouth just a little, or maybe even a lot. And also, please remember that tweens and teens, the audience targeted here, are in the stage of their lives where the least little thing grosses them out to a ridiculous extent. This ad may turn a whole generation of youngsters against Skittles; I mean, of course, the ones who supposedly like them already.

Hmm, I wonder if Skittles Pox is sexually contagious, and if people will forget to tell their partners about it like they do with STDs like herpes, and apparently even HIV? It sure seems like it here. Maybe this kid is the (alleged) Charlie Sheen of his high school? (Wow, could this be an ad that does double duty: advertise for candy, and also remind young people to use protection against sexually transmitted diseases? Maybe if it accomplishes that, and grosses school kids into not eating candy on top of that to prevent childhood obesity, it’s a great message ad! Could that be the secret purpose all along? That is actually the message they’re sending here, whether they meant to or not.)

Here’s the contagious commercial (I guess it is funny, but it’s also gross: not the best idea for selling any kind of food, I shouldn’t think; even candy):