Sunday, August 14, 2016

Always Infinity Stephanie Labbé Ad

I just saw an ad for Always Infinity featuring Olympic Canadian goalie Stephanie Labbé. Wow, when did they decide to use her in their ads?

Stephanie Labbé is Canada’s backup goalkeeper, and if their first-stringer hadn’t been injured, Stephanie Labbé likely wouldn’t have even played at all. But she has played, and without a doubt she has been the best goalkeeper in the tournament so far.

So, did Always make ads with a bunch of women’s soccer players and then just go with who turned in the best performance? That’s one way to do it. Or maybe they guessed she would be this great of a player in the Olympics? Or maybe they thought she was the best looking player? It would be inappropriate for me to comment on the looks of an athlete, but if that’s what the ad agency thought, I agree. Not commenting on her looks, just agreeing with the ad agency if that’s what they think.

I have to say, I have not once thought about feminine hygiene products the whole time I have watched women’s soccer during these Olympics, or actually, ever, during a women’s soccer tournament (which am an avid fan of, and watch a lot), I don’t think. I’m afraid this ad might remind me of that from now on, though. But I doubt it, actually. I just really like the game.

I could be wrong, but I think Canada will win the Olympic Gold Medal here. They’ve been the strongest team so far, scoring the fastest goal of any soccer game in the Olympics in their first game, and I will be surprised if they don’t win this one. And I firmly believe that after the Rio Games, if Canada wins, Stephanie Labbé will be considered the best goalie in the world. Good for her: she’s earned it (so far)!

(Seems I was wrong about Canada winning the gold medal. They lost to Germany 2:0 in the semis.)

Here’s the soccer spot: