Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Acura Seinfeld Super Bowl Ad

Um, I think we’ve all seen this one by now, right? Jerry Seinfeld wants to be the first guy to get the new Acura super car, but he’s behind some other guy in line, so he tries to bribe the guy into giving him the first one, only to lose at the last second to Jay Leno. Well, it’s kinda clever and stuff, and I like Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno a lot, but seriously: who cares who gets the first super-expensive ultra-sports-car none of us can afford? I couldn’t care less, honestly. They’re both ridiculously wealthy, and I’m sure they both have way more awesome cars (especially Jay Leno, which is why the end works so well) than they can ever drive, so who gives a sh*t? (Pardon my French.)

Lately, we’ve been bombarded with the 1% against the 99% idea from most of the news media (even though Barack Obama is part of the 1% himself!), and while I agree with some of the issues, and I’m mad about the rich bankers and CEOs grabbing all they can and bailing out on a “golden parachute”, just like the next guy is mad about it, this commercial simply fuels this whole issue for me. Most of the CEOs grabbing huge bonuses now are from Obama’s “green energy” companies, but that’s okay, so long as they give him campaign cash, apparently. I’m so disgusted with this ridiculous double-standard, I’m ready to throw up! And then there’s this ad, where I’m asked to care about which famous fat-cat TV star gets the first super car? I mean no disrespect to either of these guys, but I couldn’t care less who gets the first one. And you shouldn’t care less, either! In fact, this whole scenario has such a “let them eat cake” feel to it, I’m not sure how this helps Acura at all in the current financial climate. (Do you want your face rubbed in luxuries you cannot afford at the moment?)

Aren’t celebrities pampered enough as it is? Most people could never afford this car from Acura anyway, so why does this scenario even matter? I guess because it’s okay to like certain rich people, but not others. But aren’t we all just watching someone else’s success story vicariously when we see this commercial? And as such, it’s like rooting for the investment bankers over everyone else, as far as I’m concerned, with this present economy. Sorry, but that’s how I feel about it; and as clever as it may be, it still rubs in the 1% getting way more than everyone else, and that’s no way to sell a car to the 99%, in my opinion. (Unless there really is a double-standard, and everyone is okay with it. Is there, and are you?)

But hey: Maybe Acura doesn’t care! If you’re not brainwashed by the celebrity appeal, and the mindless rooting for your favorite, so what?: You probably can’t afford their cars anyway, so up yours as far as they’re concerned! It’s a cute ad for before the world financial crash, but it’s just crass for these days, and that’s a fact! But hey, the one consolation I have is knowing that the first buyer(s) of something like this car are paying for the privilege of beta-testing the new technology, and as such, they’re going to have to have their new car towed and fixed over and over again for their troubles, and pay for it every time: Yay, poetic justice!

(I mean, hey: I like Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno, and I don’t mean to be so hard on this spot, but seriously: who cares who gets the first Acura super car? Do you care? You shouldn’t! You’ll never see it or get to ride in it, so seriously: who cares? Would you cheer for Donald Trump to win the first one? He’s a popular TV star too! And this is a commercial, not a comedy sketch, and as such, it rubs me the wrong way, asking us as it does to root for which over-privileged star gets everything they want first. How about donating that money to local school districts? {Don’t they already own enough cars?} I would care a lot more if they did that. But it’s a car ad, so we get this. But again, who else is in the market for this car? I’m not: are you?)

Here’s the calculatingly covetous commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOL22euixuA

(BTW: It strikes me, in proof-reading this, that perhaps it doesn't come across as much as a joke as I intended. But it's supposed to be. I've been drowned in news propaganda about the 1%'ers, the double-standard for "green energy" executive looting, etc., and then when I saw this again, I just couldn't resist looking at this ad through the filter of this type of outrage. Sorry if it sounds too serious. I'm too tired to rewrite it now, and it's already posted, so...)