Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Could’ve had a V8!

Years ago, I was a musician doing stuff that was basically fringe metal, but with a punk edge. I loved cars, so I wanted to do something about muscle cars and racing (even though I didn’t really know that much about them), and one band name I wanted to do was V8 (after the engine). Well, I was busy playing in other bands, and a band called Zeke basically beat me to the punch on this idea, but sounded very different. They’re still one of my favorites to this day! But had I been able to do this V8 band; for a video, I always envisioned some rich guy in a Ferrari driving down the street, but getting crushed by a ‘60s American muscle car with a V8 engine, and then the muscle car goes roaring off into the night, and the camera settles on this dead Ferrari owner, and an announcer says: “Oops! Could’ve had a V8!”

This was back in the early ‘90s. There is probably a band called V8 by now somewhere, even though it sounds like the tomato juice derivative. (There is, apparently!) And if they’re out there, I hope they’ll consider this idea for their music video. With the 99% against the 1% we keep hearing about, this would stand as a propaganda victory for the blue collar against the über-rich. In fact, the time is perfect for such an idea!

Hey, look! In looking up this band name on Google, I find there was one before me even, and being from Argentina, they didn’t have the same problem with the name being confused with a brand of juice, or being made fun of for such a connection. (I’d love to hear this band! Foreign punk and metal is almost always great!):


(BTW: For those who care, I was listening to an old song called “Dead Roo” by Cosmic Psychos, and there is a line that says: “Hear my great big V8 roar!” and it reminded me of this. And what a great song!)