Friday, March 23, 2012

Romney Etch A Sketch Turnaround

A couple of days ago, in a news interview, a Romney campaign aide said that after the primary, Romney would “hit a reset button” for the general election, and wipe away the primary issues like an Etch A Sketch. Well, both sides of the aisle have jumped all over this metaphor to bash Mitt Romney as someone who will say anything to get elected, and once in office, all these positions and promises would be wiped clean away. Wow, what a bummer, huh? How can the Romney campaign fight back against this charge, and this symbol?

Well, if I were running his campaign, I would note that since this gaffe occurred, sales of the Etch A Sketch toy have spiked through the roof (with an over 3,000% increase in sales on Amazon.com alone). And then I would say: “See? Even Mitt Romney’s campaign gaffes are helping the economy! So just wait until he’s president! Then he’ll fix the economy for everyone, for real!”

Now, I’m not a Mitt Romney supporter, particularly, but this is how I would have handled this issue from a PR standpoint. I wonder if Romney’s campaign people will be quick enough to say it, though. I guess we’ll see!

Here’s the sketchy story: