Saturday, March 3, 2012

Godzilla Scope Mouthwash Ad: My First TV Ad Idea

When I was a little kid, I loved Godzilla movies. I watched them every chance I got. There were also a lot of commercials for Scope mouthwash at the time. So after watching one Godzilla movie when I was about 8-years-old, I told my parents about an idea for a commercial I wanted to make for Scope with Godzilla. So here’s how it would play out:

Godzilla is rampaging through a city, crushing buildings and using his atomic breath to destroy tanks and planes and stuff. He stops for a moment and turns to the camera. Then Godzilla says: “Hi. I’m Godzilla. There’s only one thing worse than atomic breath, and that’s bad breath. That’s why I use Scope mouthwash! It keeps my breath minty fresh, so people are only scared of my breath when I want them to be!” Then he goes back to rampaging through the city and causing raging infernos with his atomic breath.

That was a long time ago, but I still like it. And had it been made back then, I believe it would have been the first instance of Godzilla's use in American product advertising. But advertising agencies don't generally listen to little kids for ad ideas, so there you are.