Sunday, May 25, 2014

PayDay "Expose Yourself to PayDay" Ad

Hey, here we have a gloriously clueless advertising concept: let's use sex offender metaphors to advertise candy! What could possibly go wrong?

Unless the slogan: "Expose yourself to PayDay" might attract flashers to candy stores full of children. You don't suppose that could happen…

But yes, the best way to make people want to eat candy bars is to equate peanuts to another kind of "nuts", don't you think?

I wonder what's next; maybe: "PayDay violates your mouth with flavor?" That will keep the sex offender idea going once this ad proves it's an intelligent direction to go with advertising candy these days.

(I wonder if the ad agency is thinking now that candy is considered evil, due to the obesity epidemic, it will soon be equated with child abuse, and so they're trying to lure adults instead, but the only thing they can think of is some questionable sexual metaphor? It's the only reason I can think of for this ad. Unless they're trying to remind us that sex offenders often use candy to lure children, and they reportedly sometimes begin with lesser crimes like flashing. Do you suppose that's what they're going for here? Or maybe they've concluded that pretty soon sex offenders will be the only ones left buying candy, so they're trying to cater to that market with their ads. Do you suppose that could be it?)

Here's the nut-revealing spot:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7pKh/payday-expose-yourself

(And yes, I know I am going out of my way to over-literalize this ad's imagery and slogan, but I just think going the risqué route that references sex offender behavior is a bit over the line for advertising candy, especially when candy is something normally associated with children. See what I mean? I'm sure the ad guys who made this ad weren't thinking of the issues I'm raising here, but given the tone of this ad, they really should have.)