Friday, May 23, 2014

“To Bump (Someone) Off” Etymology (?)

We hear it in lots of 1930s gangster movies: “He got bumped off.”

I don’t know for sure the origin of the term “to bump (someone) off” (as in to kill)/ “bumped off” (as in killed), but I have a pretty darn good theory: Shakespeare.

Yeah, I know, Shakespeare and gangster slang don’t exacitaly (<misspelling intended) jive, but I still think it’s so. Here’s my evidence:

In Hamlet, a play I’m sure all gangsters and their molls went to see every day (okay, maybe not, but it’s Shakespeare’s most famous play; and in the days before TV, that really meant something!), there’s a little-known speech about “To be or not to be…” during which Hamlet longwindedly says lots of ponderous stuff, among which includes the phrase: “When we have shuffled off this mortal coil…”

Well, all jokes aside, the issue of a premature death was likely no joke to gangsters and such, and so I’m guessing they knew this little Hamlet speech. And you know how slang happens: one thing becomes another through a joke or an inference, and my guess is that someone took the idea of shuffling off this mortal coil and decided to make it up to someone else, and so shuffling off (as in a natural death) became bumping off (as in a death helped along by others), and the bumping off referred to this mortal coil (as in: “let’s bump him off this mortal coil”).

I have no real proof, but I think it’s likely I’m correct in this analysis of the possible etymology of “to bump (someone) off”. After all, if it’s not this mortal coil they’re being bumped off of, then what is it they’re being bumped off of? It’s the only thing that makes sense. And with everyone throwing Shakespeare phrases around like they did back then, it’s pretty darned likely, I figure. (After all, every single horror movie in the 1930s mentioned: “There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” And that’s from Hamlet, too. {Some even say something more like: “There are more things in Heaven and Earth, you know, and all that…” So it was obviously something everyone was supposed to know, or else it was an in-joke amongst horror movie writers about how overused it was.} So I think even lowbrow horror fans were expected to be up on their Shakespeare quotes back then.)

(And I know this is a satirical blog, but I think this theory is likely accurate.)