Tuesday, May 20, 2014

VEVO YouTube Ads

I get that there have to be ads on YouTube and stuff, but there is a limit. Most of what I listen to on YouTube I already own, but it’s a pain to load it into my new computer. And I accept there will be ads on music on YouTube, but I really must suggest that the music ads should be appropriate for the music videos they accompany.

Look, I get it if the ad people don’t know that Krokus is an AC/DC-type band, or what all the punk band names are, but they should know better than to have Katy Perry ads before punk and metal songs. It’s not only annoying, it’s counter-productive, because the people seeing these ads will be openly hostile to them, which sells nothing.

It’s about as simple a lesson as there is: If your ad will make people hate you and not buy your stuff, then don’t do it. But whoever’s doing this stuff on YouTube music either doesn’t know what they’re doing, or they don’t care. And either way, it’s wasting someone money and making lots of other people angry. So don’t do it.

If companies must put ads on YouTube music videos, they should have it relate to what it’s attached to, or else have it be a product ad and not a music ad. It’s hard to believe someone has to point stuff like this out, but apparently someone does.