Friday, March 14, 2014

Spelling Hints from Word Processors?

I have complained many times about how my word processor and computer dictionary don’t help me with my spelling. They just say it’s wrong, and refuse to help me. Shouldn’t they aid me in my spelling like Google does with their suggestions? And I know Google probably owns that, so word processors would have to use another method or get sued, so how about using the “warm” and “cold” method, like in hide and seek? If you try to correct the spelling, but it only makes it worse, it could say: “You’re getting colder…” Oh, but if you’re almost right, but not quite, in your attempt to re-spell the word, it could say: “You’re getting warmer…” At least then it would be a fun and challenging word game that might even make us remember how to spell words, as opposed to the “ignore them and maybe they’ll go away” approach they use now. (No, seriously: these word processors must know how to spell the words correctly, or else how would they know we’re spelling them wrong to begin with? Or maybe they’re just trying to make us feel stupid by claiming we’re spelling things wrong when we’re not. {BTW: They do that too, a lot, due to the limited resource dictionaries they apparently use.} Yeah, if you’re so smart, word processor spell check, then show us how to spell it, rather than acting all smug and know-it-all-y, you jerks. {We used to beat up nerds who acted like this in middle school, so pretty soon someone’s going to do an after school malware attack on you in lieu of a wedgie, you pompous world processors, take my word for it! [Although you’d probably claim my word for it is misspelled just to push my buttons for a change!*]})

As it happens now, I have to misspell my words online into Google to get the correct spelling. (Remember how teachers used to tell you to look a word up when you couldn’t spell it? Yeah, that’s no help either, is it, unless you guess right.)

* Yes, my word processor claimed the word “wedgie” is misspelled. (As if it never had one.)