Wednesday, January 14, 2015

FDA The Real Cost “#7000 Chemicals” Demon Smoking Ad

Wow, that kid is so tough and cool, smoking in an army of demons! What a badass! That’s some good sh!t there, man! I want some! (<This is the likely response teens will make to seeing this commercial warning of the dangers of smoking. And that’s the problem with using an approach like this in an anti-smoking ad: anything that makes smoking look badass or dangerous gets turned around into a positive by the young people who see it. So as cool as it is, maybe another approach would work better than making smoking look like defeating an army of demons in some video game or fantasy movie.)

Don’t get me wrong: I think this ad is super cool; the problem is that it makes smoking look super cool too. And I’m not sure, but I don’t think that’s the message they were going for.

Here’s the super-smokin’ anti-smoking spot: