Sunday, February 22, 2015

Google Play Heart Ad

Wow, I thought this was going to end up being a really, really expensive ad for the American Heart Association, but it ended up being for Google Play. (?)

I think it’s stretching it a bit to associate your product or service solely with the heart, especially if it is not specifically (or at least metaphorically) heart-related. It’s like they couldn’t think of anything concrete to convince us, so they went the nebulous route. (Google Play is all about the heart? I don’t follow this logic, somehow.)

I think this ad is really slick and everything, but not such a good ad for Google Play, because it’s too non-specific. I mean, it looks nice, and it takes us on a little journey and everything, but where it ends up is not so logical or sensical. Maybe repurpose it for a dating app, a florist shop, a Valentine’s Day gift, or the American Heart Association. But this could be an ad for so many things, and many that are way more relevant are memorable through this approach than Google Play. (See what I mean?)

Here’s the spot with its heart in the right place, even if the product is a bit star-crossed with the strategy: