Wednesday, February 11, 2015

YouTube Software Update Scam?

I don’t know about you, but I make sure my Flash and other plugins are updated regularly, and so it always surprises me when YouTube gives me the page that says: “Oops! Your browser is no longer supported.”

But my browser is not only supported, it’s brand new, when I get this message. Then I just reload the page and I’m accepted, which begs the question: since this message is so obviously a scam and a lie, what is the purpose here? Are they trying to con us into uploading tracking software, is it a virus, or what?

No accusations on my part, but something errant or underhanded is going on somewhere, so I just wonder what it is, and why it is. Don’t you want to know too?

I want to trust YouTube, but this doesn’t make me feel like I can, as I cannot think of any other reason for such a thing prompting me for software updates I clearly don’t need. (Can you think of a reason for it?)

(BTW: This has been happening on every Mac I use lately, not only my own. WTF?)