Monday, February 2, 2015

Heathcliff and Who?

I just saw a trailer for the old Samuel Goldwyn version of Wuthering Heights on TCM, and it struck me for the first time how wrong the names Heathcliff and Cathy sound together. I was so used to the idea until I heard them when I was looking at something else, and with my attention so impaired, I heard for the first time how silly they seem together. Maybe Emily Brontë intended it so, to show us from the get-go that they are not meant to be together in this life?

Maybe it’s just me, but the names Heathcliff and Cathy go together like the following pairings:

Bubba and Gwendolyn
Rusty and Cordelia
Chip and Esmeralda

See what I mean? They just don’t seem well-matched name-wise.

Gee, I wonder: had Heathcliff been named Chris, or Kyle, would they have ended up together? (I blame the parents! No wonder a French court recently changed a baby girl’s name from Nutella to Ella: she might have ended up with the wrong sandwich ingredient, like Mustard, Pickles, or Catsup!)