Sunday, February 1, 2015

Nissan Racing Dad Ad

In this heart-string-tugging spot for Nissan, we see what the family of a racecar driver goes through while he’s away racing. Then, at the end, the racecar driver father shows up to pick up his son from school in a Nissan sedan. And I was expecting the son to say, after hugging his father: “How come the only time I ever see you in person you’re driving a lame-ass generic sedan? Do you get tired of driving cool cars on the track, so you want a crappy car the rest of the time? Couldn’t you at least pick me up from school in a cool car so all my friends won’t think I’m a loser? When you show up in this turd of a car, they all think I’m lying about my dad being a racecar driver.” (And then the father could say that he used to drive badass cars, but they attracted a lot of speeding tickets, so now he only drives boring family sedans.)

I’m not trying to be a smartass here. I honestly have no clue why they didn’t have the father pick his son up in their sportiest sports car. Because after an ad all about racing, their sedans are going to look really boxy and boring. Didn’t anyone think of that? It seems pretty obvious to me.

Here’s the anticlimactic automobile advert:


And another thing: I know the lyrics to the song they used work with the theme of the father and son stuff, but that song is completely wrong for anything racing-themed. Seriously, it’s like speed metal and ballet or something.

But this ad is undeniably powerful in its emotional impact, and it’s really good.