Friday, September 2, 2016

AT&T Led Zeppelin Ad (Proposed)

I don’t know if anyone has done this before, because when cell phones were new, I didn’t own a television set. I played in bands and wrote music all the time, and I did leather work on outfits for my bands (hot rod flames and band logos, not bondage stuff). But it seems to me the current ad campaign for AT&T, claiming the fewest number of dropped calls, would work the best with the Led Zeppelin song: “Communication Breakdown” playing in the background while frustrated, angry people abuse their cell phones after it dropped a critically important call, like a job offer, the first: “I love you” of a couple, someone who needs to be picked up before he/she can give their location, and stuff like that.

I think it’s very unlikely that anyone does not know this song. The part they should use mostly would be the chorus and the guitar solo.

Here’s the Led Zeppelin song: “Communication Breakdown” (check out that wonderfully fuzzy guitar solo!):


When I was in elementary school, my favorite band was Led Zeppelin. I remember wishing someone would play them on the radio, but nobody ever did. So I bought all their albums with grass cutting money and burned myself out on them playing it all the time. And then they started getting radio airplay.

I remember when I was in college, a friend of mine said everything on the radio was Led Zeppelin, and I told him I have never heard them on the radio except for the Kasey Kasem top 100 of the 1970s, and “Stairway to Heaven” won as number one, even though it’s not a radio friendly song, being so long as it is. So my friend turned on his stereo, switched to the tuner, and then he said: “Led Zeppelin”, and hit his first present, and it was playing: “When the Levee Breaks”; then he said: “Led Zeppelin”, and hit his second preset, and it was playing: “Immigrant Song”, and then he said: “Led Zeppelin”, hit his third preset, and it was playing: “Whole Lotta Love”, and then he said: “Led Zeppelin”, hit his fourth preset, and it was playing: “Communication Breakdown”. I swear this happened just like I just said it did, in that song order, and I’ll never forget it as long as I live.