Friday, September 2, 2011

Chevy Runs Deep

What a lame tag-line for such an Americana-laced car company! It makes Chevy sound like bottom-feeders! Or maybe their cars change into submarines when you drive them into the water, like a James Bond Lotus Esprit? Seriously, what does it mean, exactly? Chevy runs deep into what? Trouble? Debt? Insolvency? Bankruptcy? Doo doo? Because they’re having trouble right now, aren’t they? It just sounds bad, however you look at it. How about this instead: "Chevy: America on Wheels", or "American Wheels". Or how about this: “Chevy: What’s Driving America”, or “Driving America Forward”, or just “Driving America”, or “Driving the Future”. Or maybe: “Chevy: Revved Up”. Or: “Chevy: Accelerate Your Life”. Or perhaps: “Chevy Moves You”. Anything!

I hope I didn’t repeat any of their old ones; I don’t know what they all were. But the “Chevy Runs Deep” line doesn’t suggest anything positive to me. I think I know what they’re driving at (Get it? Driving at? Because it’s a car. Ha ha! Oh, sorry…) with that tagline, but it just doesn’t work well for me. I think they’re saying something like that Chevy is in our blood, like family, and that family ties run deep, etc. But it really suggests the running deep into trouble, bankruptcy, etc., idea when I hear it. Plus, don’t we buy cars so we don’t have to run (or walk)? And so it makes me think of jogging through deep puddles and stuff too. And I hate wet shoes that get all squishy with every step when you walk in them! Yuck!

It just seems to me that there are tons and tons of potentially good taglines for a company like Chevrolet, and especially in a tough time, when they’re not doing as well as they’d like, a good, solid tagline about driving, or about Americana, would be a better fit. Hopefully they’ll update it soon.