Monday, September 26, 2011

Christopher Lee for Masterpiece Mystery Host, Please!

I’m not trying to insult Alan Cumming or anything, but I really think the host of Masterpiece Mystery ought to be Christopher Lee. The first one was Vincent Price, right? Well, Christopher Lee made a lot of mystery and horror movies like Vincent Price, so he’s very appropriate for being the host of a mystery series; plus he’s British, and Masterpiece Mystery is a British program(me). And as a classic actor from many classic movies, he seems far more appropriate for classic mysteries like those by Agatha Christie. But look: he’s really getting old, and I think they should offer it to him while they still can. Once he’s gone, he’s gone, and it will be too late. So come on PBS: can’t you hear that wonderfully resonating stiff British baritone commanding our attention for each new mystery show? I’d tune in just to see him, and I doubt I’d be alone!