Monday, October 7, 2013

Campbell's Tomato Soup Finger Nail Polish Ad

This is the one with "the wisest kid in the whole world" (a boy, naturally: sexist soup.* {Just kidding.}), where a father asks this wise little blonde boy with a long beard what activity to do with his daughters, and they play with finger nail polish. But from the way the man asks, this wise kid seems imaginary, and perhaps a delusion of the father; I guess it's lucky the wise kid isn't warped, or this ad could have ended in tragedy. But all jokes aside, this one is pretty fun, with the father playing with his daughters, and then they make tomato soup with toasted cheese sandwiches, which is what my father made with my sister and me when we were little kids. And I'd be willing to bet that Campbell's Soup, especially the tomato soup, was made my many dads across the country (because it's easy to make and kids love it) for little kids who are now adults and who remember just the same thing that I do. And when you can tap into a universal childhood memory of people who buy groceries, it's going to touch them and move them, and they'll likely buy your product. So great job on this one, Campbell's Soup creative team!

Here's the cute Campbell's commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVQCs4eu64Q

(I don't know what it is with dads and tomato soup, but many of my college friends mentioned that their fathers would make then Campbell's tomato soup and toasted cheese sandwiches when they were making lunch {Our moms made meals more often for us then, and that's why we remember the tomato soups and grilled cheese lunches with our dads: because it was less frequently, and it was usually the same thing: Campbells' tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. I think we remember mom's food better in general, and we always remember it fondly, but the people I know remember the tomato soup and toasted cheese sandwiches for lunch as being more of a dad thing, and I do too.})

* BTW: It would be easy to avoid this potential criticism by having two kids, a boy and a girl, and calling the pair of them "the wisest kids in the whole world."