Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bud Light Platinum Adages Ad

This ad has been on since the Super Bowl, but I never paid much attention to it until today, when I heard the announcer saying, from across the room, while I was not even looking at the TV set: “They say a man’s work is never done.” Um, who says that? From what I remember, the saying goes more like this: “A man may work from sun to sun, but a woman’s work is never done.”

That’s the first I’ve heard it applied to men, so I suppose the “they” (who say) is this ad team, or perhaps Anheuser-Busch. Or, maybe, just maybe, they’re trying to get women to drink something other than their beer by insulting their well-known adage by attributing it to men. Maybe then they should also say: “And that’s why men earn more money than women for the same job: because a man’s work is never done.” (That ought to turn women against them! I mean, assuming they haven’t already done so by changing the aforementioned old saying about whose work is indeed never done.)

I didn’t think men drank light beer anyway (I mean, they do in television commercials, but I’ve rarely seen it in real life; or at least, not by choice.), so this ad seems to be, for lack of a better phrase, “barking up the wrong tree”, so to speak. But maybe they can get the female market back by marketing a line of Bud Light Diamond!* (Women seem to like diamonds a lot, so maybe that would bring them back.)

Oh, and if a man’s work is never done, then how come they always seem to find the time to watch sports, chase women, and drink lots and lots of beer? Or is that why “a man’s work is never done”: because they don’t bother to do the work? (Maybe that’s what they should say they meant if women notice this altered-adage issue and get mad.)

Here’s the specious spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtlddpLm8Bs

* Then they could have the slogan be: “Bud Light Diamond: It's a girl’s best friend!”

Or else maybe they could say: “Bud Light Diamond: Because diamonds are a girl’s best friend!” And then they could have ads where girls say stuff like: “Shower me with diamonds!” (And then someone pours a bottle of the beer on her head.) Or some woman could say to her friend: “Oh, guess what? Bill just got me a diamond!” (And then she holds up her bottle of Bud Light Diamond.) It’s practically limitless what they could do with this idea, for the women’s market.