Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Canal Digital “The Man Who Lived in a Film” Ad

Last night on CBS, there was a show called: Clash of the Commercials: U.S.A. vs. the World, and on this program they showed what were supposedly the best commercials from America and around the world. Some of them were great, and some I wondered why they were included. But the best one for the world category I couldn’t argue with, and that’s the subject of this post. (Although it losing to yet another version of an E-Trade baby ad I could complain about all night. However, I will not waste my or your time doing it here.)

I love this commercial for Canal Digital, and I was frankly surprised when it didn’t win. And while I do love it, I have one small criticism of it, which might not even be relevant to most viewers, and that is this: The guy in this ad is constantly living out negative, horrifying experiences in movies, apparently due to Canal Digital’s service. So I hate to say it, but this kind of shows this service in a negative light, as though you might live a tortured existence if you get their movie service. I know it might seem like a lame criticism, and like I said before, I do ever so love this ad, but it looks rather like this guy is miserable because he has Canal Digital, and that might make some people see this spot and say: “I don’t want to have the hell-on-Earth experiences of this poor guy, so I won’t get Canal Digital.” It could happen, especially for people who hate horror movies.

So how do you fix it? Well, this doesn’t need any fixing, but rather, it needs a companion piece (maybe there already is one in Norway?). In this companion ad, we’d see someone else (a woman, I’d suggest) living her life as a series of wonderful scenes from movies she loves, and all thanks to Canal Digital. But it’s just a suggestion.

(BTW: They said on the show last night that this ad is from a small agency in Norway. Well, I must say it has just about the best combination of production value, design, concept, special effects, and taste I’ve seen in a while. A great job all around! I hope to see more from these guys in days and years to come!)

Here’s the frighteningly funny spot: