Thursday, November 10, 2011

Amazon Kindle Fire Ad

A new TV spot for the Amazon Kindle Fire shows a woman walking down the sidewalk and up the stairs to the door of her urban townhouse to find her Amazon Kindle Fire waiting on her doorstep. Yeah, right! That thing would have been stolen in a matter of seconds had it been left outdoors like that! In this economy? Are you kidding me? I live inside an apartment building with locked gates, and sometimes my packages “walk away” from my apartment hallway, so imagine how long a package would last on a city street!

But then again I suppose the element of fantasy is always desirable in advertising to enchant the potential sucker, um, I mean, consumer. (Actually, the Kindle is great. I’m just talking about advertising in general with that “sucker” comment. Because after all, advertising is the business of tricking you into buying something you don’t need with money you can’t spare. Right? That’s why it’s an art form. Like an entertainer mixed with a scam artist. Or something like that.) But I really hope they’re not planning on leaving them outside like they do in this ad, at least not in downtown urban areas: they might just disappear, as endless traffic makes it practically impossible to notice anything suspicious. But then again, the Kindle had an old ad a couple of years ago where some beautiful model in stop motion animation plays a magician, so I guess it ties right in (making things disappear, that is!)! (BTW: That old ad for the Kindle was one of the real champs of contemporary advertising, if you ask me.)

Here’s the optimistic spot:


And here’s the older Kindle ad that I think is one of the great ads of all time, using as it does such wonderful imagery as a way to illustrate the stories you can get lost in while reading on the Kindle (They should have advertised the library like this, too!):


And here are two more I was less familiar with that are by the same people, and are just as good:



This is some of the finest work I’ve ever seen, both conceptually and execution-wise. Three cheers for the people who made these ads! Hurrah! Hooray! Yay!