Monday, November 7, 2011

When you add Verizon to your business…

“When you add Verizon to your business, you don’t just add, you multiply.”

That is the tagline to a new commercial about buildings winning “employee of the month” awards. I’m not sure what that has to do with Verizon, but I am pretty sure that vague tagline only begs the question: “You multiply what? The size of your bill?”

This quip has popped into my head every time I’ve seen that ad, and I can’t be the only one who’s thinking that, either. But what exactly are they talking about when they say we “multiply”? It’s not clear to me at all, unless they mean the amount of the bill.

But what do I know? I’m not the “employee of the month”: some stupid building beat me out for it! I’m going to graffiti it out of revenge!

Here’s the ad I’m talking about (notice how they say that the city is “using Verizon technology to inspire businesses to conserve energy and monitor costs”. How exactly does this work? It sounds extremely vague, almost like they’re making it up. In fact, it’s so vague, it’s impossible to disprove. Unless it's another intrusive "Big Brother"-style government program related to the "smart grid": then it's actually possible that it's a bigger drawback than a help. Like how the government here is helping me use less water by making it impossible to get clean in the shower by limiting water flow until it's practically nonexistent: now I have to take 10 times longer, so I use more water than before and am miserable at the same time. Is it like that? Oh goody!):