Saturday, November 26, 2011

John Hancock Instant Messaging Ad

Here we have some guy texting someone on his laptop with instant messaging or whatever, and the person he's communicating with says they (both of them together) need help with financial stuff. So the guy types that he's had an accounting course, and adds on a winking emoticon. Then the other person says: "Oh that's a big help", sarcastically. So then the guy asks what they should get, and the response is: "Someone who took more than an accounting course." And then I say: "Oh, you mean like a Wall Street investment bank? They took everyone's retirement savings and about a trillion dollars of taxpayers' money on top of that, and then took most of that as bonuses they didn't earn, because they ran their companies and the whole world economy into the ground!" Is that what this ad means by getting someone who "took more" than an accounting course? Because this is the first thing that occurs to me when I read that line, and I'll bet I'm not the only one! And then it makes me think investment banks maybe aren't such a good idea to trust with my money after all...

Here's the unintentionally funny spot: