Friday, November 25, 2011

Audi Phil Jackson Ad

Audi has a new ad running on television where some chef is being abusive to his underlings, and Phil Jackson tries to advise him against it, but the chef doesn't recognize him, so he blows him off. Then the guy the chef yelled at says it was Phil Jackson, yadda, yadda. This commercial is interesting to me in its approach. I'd say this was a response to the Occupy Wall Street movement: They're essentially saying here: "Look, it's middle-class people who are the real jerks, not the rich people! So don't picket the Audi dealership!" Hey, it's one way to try to sell a luxury item without seeming to cater to the "Let them eat cake!" crowd. I'm not sure it works, because I saw through it right away, and probably everyone else notices this too, but at least it's a different approach. And I like it when they try something new; even if it does't work, at least it's novel.

Here's the slanderous spot: