Thursday, February 9, 2012

Audi Headlights Vampire Ad

This is the Super Bowl ad where they show a vampire guy bringing a case of O+ blood to an outdoor vampire party, and then his headlights burn them all to ashes. I like this ad, but not because I like the new version of Emo vampires. It’s actually quite the opposite, really: I’m absolutely tired of the Twilight vampires now, so it’s fun to see them all get burned up in the Audi headlights. And since the people who are likely to be in the market to buy a new Audi are probably parents who have teenage children, and are as such probably really tired of this vampire craze too, this commercial is perfect at targeting this market demographic. And that’s also why I like it: it’s smart in targeting its market with a snarky staking of the teenage vampire fad. Plus, it’s fun.

Oh, and it’s really nice to hear Echo and the Bunnymen’s “The Killing Moon” again. That also targets the appropriate age demographic for the Audi market, and it works well with this scenario: Smart.

It’s well done all around, but it’s especially smart in that you could like it if you love the Twilight vampires, or if you hate them. I’ve heard some people say they don’t like this spot; I’m sorry to hear that, as I think it’s pretty darn good.

Here’s the creature-combusting car commercial: