Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Teleflora Valentine’s Day Sex-Promising Ad

This is the Super Bowl commercial with the beautiful woman (Brazilian bombshell Adriana Lima) in black silky undergarments (or is that a dress?) putting on garter stockings and lipstick, and then she says: “Guys, Valentine’s Day is not that complicated: Give, and you shall receive!”

Okay, first of all, she’s drop-dead gorgeous, but during the Super Bowl, I couldn’t understand what she was saying due to her accent. I recorded the Super Bowl, so I could watch the ads later, so I understand it now; but shouldn’t we all be able to understand the ad copy the first time around, if they’re paying $3.5 Million per spot? Okay, I’ll admit it’s probably just because I’m a stupid American guy that I didn’t understand it the first time, but still: I’m probably not the only one who didn’t understand her. But then maybe they’ll all go hunt down the spot and watch it again and again to try to understand her (or whatever else they may be doing). So I may be wrong on this point.

But I’m not wrong on this point right here: This lady does not specify that the receiver of your flowers must be your girlfriend first, so some guys might get the date-rapey message that flowers = sex no matter who you give them to. That’s a bit bigger of a flub, in my opinion. But to spell it out would probably ruin the spot, so what are you going to do? But it does look like they’re saying sending someone flowers will always get you laid, right? It doesn’t. Sorry.

Here’s the supposedly sex-securing spot: