Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Fiat 500 Abarth Super Bowl Ad

This commercial is called “Seduction”, but I’d call it “Tease”, based upon what’s happening here. And if this car acted like this woman, then as you approached it, it would drive away; if you reached out to open the door, the alarm would go off; if you were already in it, and you wanted to drive, it wouldn’t start; and if you were already in a running one, and you wanted it to move, it would conk out; etc. This is the sense I am left with after watching this spot. And it doesn’t make me want one.

But it’s attention-getting, I’ll give it that much! And I guess the seduction idea works okay (although it really says tease to me). But here we are again with this idea that a car is a sexy thing we all should want to sleep with, parodied so well in SNL years ago with the car designed for you to have sex with. But here, I feel like if I said the wrong thing, this car would drive into another car and then say I did it (!). And I don't need another one of those.

Here’s the seductive, sexy spot: