Monday, February 6, 2012

Chevy Silverado Apocalypse Ad

This is kind of a fun spot, even if they killed all the rest of us off (in theory) to do it. I especially like that they’re eating Twinkies, despite the fact that Hostess is in bankruptcy (most likely due to the food police, who I guess all die in this ad, so Hostess Twinkies win and outlast even the obesity epidemic: nice! Is this an ad for Hostess Twinkies? It should be! Maybe Chevy owns stock or just bought them.). But yes, this is the commercial where the Chevy Silverado drivers survive the Mayan Doomsday scenario, and it’s their trucks that save them! Yay! (But since mostly men drive pickup trucks, aren’t they going to get awfully lonely for romance with everyone else dead? Who knows: maybe they’re all gay. I can only hope so for their sake! Oh, and I hope they’re French, too, since there are so many frogs to eat, and probably not much else!)

But this spot does something I think was kind of dumb and unnecessary: it rips specifically on Ford. Had they left that line out, it might have been a great message; but because they specified Ford as not being the most reliable pickup truck, it reminded me that actually, aren’t the Nissan and Toyota trucks the most reliable? (My brother-in-law subscribes to Consumer Reports magazine, and I think I remember them saying Toyota & Nissan are the most reliable. Maybe that’s why this ad says “dependable”: perhaps there’s another definition?) And aren’t there also Dodge Ram trucks and GMC trucks that are good too? And they’re all competitors, so it simply makes Chevy look like they’re taking a cheap shot, rather than going with the high concept. It just cheapens the whole thing to target Ford and nobody else, and then it reminds me of the other brands they’re not mentioning, whereas without the Ford reference, I doubt it would have brought it to mind. It would have been perfect without the Ford reference. And if they had a couple of women show up in their Chevy trucks too. Oh, well. (It's great fun anyway!)

Here’s the apocalyptic ad: