Monday, February 6, 2012

Kia Optima Motley Crüe Web Ad

Okay, I have to speak up about this for a moment. I recently posted a comment justly bashing web ads that flash and vibrate to get your attention and give everyone a headache when they’re trying to read or do whatever else online. But then tonight I was reminded of the right way to do this: it reacts when you move your cursor over it, but it’s just a still image, like a print ad, when you don’t interact with it. I know they’ve been doing this for awhile, but this is the first one that’s caught my eye lately, since most of them seem to do this amazingly annoying “look at me” thing all the time!

So what I’m talking about is basically a little web ad on Yahoo! for the Kia Optima, and it says “Kia Optima” at the top, and then they show Motley Crüe like they’re playing, and then there’s a pearl white Optima layered in underneath them. So when you move your cursor over this ad, the spot lights in the background turn up and become much brighter, and it looks really cool. But if you don’t move the cursor over it, it won’t bother you when you’re trying to do something else. Awesome! (It does have its little motion graphic at the beginning, but then it stops.)

This ad looks cool anyway, even though I’m not the biggest Motley Crüe fan, and I liked how they did the different looks too, so it made me interested. And guess what else is great about it? It can expand, but it doesn’t do it automatically (!): you have to click on it to expand it, rather than it doing it anyway, and making you mad. So looking cool and not making me mad: two really great things I don’t see in online ads every day! Well, I’m not in the market for a new car at the moment, but if I were, I’d definitely check out the Kia Optima for not ruining my online experience while also drawing my interest without the harassing pestering of other internet ads!

BTW: here’s the page that you go to when you click to “watch the video”: it’s a teaser of a supermodel waving a checkered flag (!). WTF? Okay, I get that Motley Crüe fans probably like hot girls, but what happened to the band? I thought this was an ad with the band! (They’re in a still picture at the bottom of the page there, but it’s still odd that they’d tease us with the band and then take us to this. Oh, well. It’s not that I’m disappointed, but I wanted to show you the ad I was writing about, and there’s not much left for you to see here… But here’s what there is:


But maybe you’ll encounter it somewhere else online. Hey, you made it to read this, so finding the Kia Motley Crüe ad should be easy!