Sunday, February 5, 2012

Dairy Queen Fathers’ Jobs Elementary School Show and Tell Ad

Alright, this one is a great commercial, but I can’t show it to you. Sorry. It seems to have disappeared without a trace! I don’t know why, because it was great! And what a novel approach, too!

Okay, so this ad starts with a little kid in a first or second grade classroom, and the kid is doing show and tell about what his/her father does for a living. And guess what: he’s a Dairy Queen sundae maker! So all the kids are super enthused about this, and they show us one of the sundaes that they make at Dairy Queen, and it looks yummy and all that stuff. Pretty good so far…

But now we come to the part of the commercial that usually sucks and falls flat: the tag! They really shouldn’t bother making tags to most ads, if you ask me: most of the time, they’re awful and annoying! But here, it makes the spot great! So for the tag of this ad, we cut out into the school hallway, and there are other fathers waiting for their turn to be presented to the class; and we’ve got a frogman, and I think an astronaut, etc., all dressed up in their full outfits: all very interesting things to kids, right? So one of them says to another one, after watching this Dairy Queen ice cream guy’s presentation through the little classroom door window: “Now, how are we supposed to compete with that?” It’s great! Because kids love ice cream! And it says that in a fun and clever way that’s very creative and memorable!

I still remember this commercial even though I think I only saw it twice. And now I can’t find the spot or anything written about it either! (Maybe I’m not searching for it right?) Anyway, for me, this ad is one of the real champs! And I think it should be recognized as such, too. But maybe some astronauts and frogmen stole it and shot it into space or sunk it deep into the ocean to cover up that there ever was such a suggestion that kids would like something better than them! (That’s what I’d do, but I’m not an astronaut or a frogman.)