Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sears Optical Raccoon Ad

I think we can all agree right now that this commercial, as simple as it is, is one of the more remarkable spots in the past few years. This is the one where the lady in a nightgown opens her sliding glass door to call her cat, and a raccoon comes in instead, but she doesn’t notice, because she’s not wearing her glasses. Then it says: “Missing Something?” And then it tells you about Sears Optical deals on glasses.

I love this idea, but for some reason, the slogan: “Missing Something” doesn’t entirely work for me. I know they’re saying that you’re missing seeing something, or that she’s missing her cat, and that’s okay there; but they use it in other ads too, and it doesn’t work as well for me in other scenarios. Maybe it’s because the term “missing something” generally refers to having something swiped by some jerk who then ribs you about it: I don’t know. It works in this particular ad with the raccoon, but it seems to me they should have said instead: “See What You’ve Been Missing”. That way, it’s not vague, and we all get that they’re talking about glasses, as opposed to something else. But that’s a small quibble, and I may be wrong about it anyway.

So here’s the sight seeing spot: